Sunday, May 18, 2014

Mom - Superwoman!



The Mother’s Day bouquet arrangement have wilted, she will have to wait another year for her annual breakfast in bed, and kitchen help has slowed down or non-existent just a week after the grand celebration of honoring our moms.  Does this sound like the situation in your home? 

The first lady of our families deserves more than just one holiday.  While officially marked only once per calendar year, we can always make every day Mother’s Day.  After all, moms are on non-stop super hero duty 24/7, and without pay may I add. I do not mean to give them flowers or mimosas daily (although they may like that!).  There are many ways to show genuine gratitude for her tireless devotion, like helping out more with the daily chores, being less “pasaway,” writing short notes of love and appreciation, opening the door for her, or simply put your arms around her and say you love her more often.

In this day and age, it is not easy to universally define what a mother means due to her many roles influenced by religion, culture, society and personal circumstances - she may be single, married, separated, divorced or widowed; she may be with children or without; she may be straight or gay.  

Paying tribute to some of the “supermom” figures I know, here are their photos:





I, too, promise to be more thoughtful and expressive and let my mom know that I am forever thankful to her for everything that I am today.  She is strong, she is my rock…my superwoman!

On a related topic, as I write this and ponder about my mom’s innate powers, I was asked by my good friend, Bri, to answer 3 questions about being a woman. Let me share with you…

        1)What does it mean to you to be a woman?

Being a woman, for me means, to be imperfect yet beautiful, to be tough yet graceful, to be vulnerable yet strong, to be challenged yet unbroken, innately nurturing, tirelessly passionate, and forever devoted. Complicated…oh, for sure! And I love every moment of it

2) When do you feel most feminine?

My guy friends tell me that I am one of only very few women who belong to a “small circle,” whatever that means.  I have many masculine traits – love all sports, fast cars and anything military, hate chick flicks, shoot guns, lack drama, out-eat my hubby… I know it does not sound feminine at all. But believe me, I can turn sexy on when I want to! LOL!  Seriously, I feel most feminine when my man holds my hand or puts his arms around me in the most protective way.

3)  What is your favorite thing about being a woman?

I know it’s a cliché, but getting away with hundreds of pairs of shoes and calling my “handbag collection” an investment is a definite perk of being a woman! It has been reported that I once said that I want a bedroom with my closet!
In closing, let me share what my brother, Sheldon, thought of women.  He summed it perfectly – “Women… you love them, you never hurt them!”

Women today have more options than ever.  How would you answer these questions? Visit BriSeeley.com/blog to read what others said.

XOXO,
Sheila




No comments:

Post a Comment