Thursday, October 22, 2015

Fashion Statement for the Cause




For my long healthy hair, all credit goes to my Asian genes! Every year, I am blessed that I can give my hair to Locks of Love, a non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children in U.S. and Canada under age 21 suffering from long term hair loss due to any medical diagnosis.

While I have been donating my locks, I didn’t really know anyone in the mane business, until I met Jasmin Barnes, Founder/CEO of My Wig Studio. “It all started one bad hair day in 2009…I started using a wig. It gave me freedom and a little boost of confidence,” Jasmin said when asked how she got started.  


Jasmin Barnes, Founder and CEO of My Wig Studio / United We Strand in action!

Later on she saw the huge need for patients medically diagnosed with hair loss such as women with alopecia, or undergoing chemotherapy, radiation or menopause and felt compelled to respond.  Today, her company donates wigs to cancer organizations, local hospitals and clinics, such as Arrowhead Regional Medical Center, American Cancer Association, City of Hope, and Breast Cancer Imaging Center to name a few. “Most of them shed tears of joy the moment they put on the wig! I feel blessed to be able to witness this pure joy! I believe that when a woman feels empowered and beautiful from the inside out, they can take on the world to do greater things! This is when I realized I found my passion! I am inspired by each woman’s story of courage and their passion for life,” says the Filipina entrepreneur.  To do more, she launched a Wig Sponsorship Program enabling wig patrons to donate via her web site, My Wig Studio, allowing her to extend help on an ongoing basis directly to cancer patients who cannot afford to purchase their own. 

Coincidentally, I connected with one of the biggest supporters of Jasmin’s cause, Philippine-born fashion designer Charmaine Rodriguez who showcased Charmaine Joie Couture Spring/Summer 2016 collection at Orange County Fashion Week last month. This Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising (FIDM) grad’s name may ring a bell as Charmaine has appeared in 2 seasons of NBC’s Fashion Star.  


With Charmaine Rodriguez at
The 3rd Annual Metropolitan Fashion Week Closing Gala

Sharing the same passion to give back, Charmaine designed a one-of-a-kind floor length silk jacquard couture gown with removable skirt and, my favorite feature, a solid mauve pink collar in the shape of the Breast Cancer Ribbon lightly hand-crusted with Swarovski crystals worn by 9-year cancer survivor Laura McCarthy Cygan at The 3rd Annual Metropolitan Fashion Week (MFW) Closing Gala’s “50 Shades of Pink” runway segment at Warner Bros. Studios in Los Angeles. 

Wearing Charmaine Joie Couture, breast cancer survivor and model Laura McCarthy Cygan 
currently works as a Fire Investigator for Emergency Fire Investigations




In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, 10 designers created gowns showcased and modeled by breast cancer survivors and were later auctioned to benefit various breast cancer charities.  Jasmin’s Wig Sponsorship Program via My Wig Studio / United We Strand, was Charmaine’s chosen charity.  Charmaine stated, “I just found in my journey that fashion can give back in many ways. I've been fortunate to be able to help be part of several fundraisers for breast cancer charities as well as Saint Jude for Children's Hospital and working wardrobes organization.  I have done these by participating in fashion shows that raise funds to give back to these beneficiaries.”

Breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in women, and although rare, an estimated 2,350 MEN will be diagnosed in the U.S. with breast cancer. Many of us have families and friends who have been touched by cancer, one way or another.  There are many ways to support awareness, like the opportunity I found with this cool brand C4, featured at Phoenix Fashion Week earlier this month. With a mission to give back, C4, which stands for “Choose your Color, Choose your Cause,” has partnered with National Breast Cancer Foundation.  Use code Care4thecause when you shop at www.c4belts.com to get a $5 discount off your purchase and $5 will also be automatically donated to NBCF. Post a picture of your purchase with the hashtag #Care4thecause on Instagram and Facebook, and C4 will donate an additional $5 to NBCF! What a great way to get a new accessory and make a fashion statement!


Kirsten & Lily sporting their pink C4 Belts to help raise $$ and awareness
 for the National Breast Cancer Foundation

Let’s connect, send me a message or tweet me at  “Chasing Sheila” on FacebookTwitter and Instagram

‘Til the next ish dolls. In the meantime, get your FASH on, keep styling and make a fashion scene!

(Photos by Misha Urubkov and Gennadiy Kotlyarchuk)

XOXO,


1 comment:

  1. I have gone through your blog post. Well, logical, and informative post about fashion statement and fashion accessories in different cause. I like your awareness about breast cancer.

    ReplyDelete